Viper Squad Ten

[ Friday, April 28, 2006 ]

Nintendo smells of wii
Starbuck [16:58] Comments: 4 []
 
Hmmm, not sure about Nintendo's desicion to name their new console "Wii".

I'd become quite accustomed to its code-name "Revolution" - a good name for a console if which the controller will indeed be a revolution in gaming.

However I wouldn't look forward to asking a mate to come round to check out my fantastic new "wee". "Oh, go on, please come round, you can play with my wee if you want".

But then again when you think about it "SNES" was a fairly rrrubbish name, but at least that was an acronym, even if it did sound like the German for a "slow nose".

Gamecube was good. Much better than Xbox (its a box with a great big X on it!) And don't get me started on Dreamcast (dream-catchers, anyone?) or the "Mega" Drive...

Best computer name ever? The Spectrum (so called because it could display such a limited selection of the visual spectrum). Or the Welsh masterpiece, the fabled Dragon 32.


4 Comment(s):


Comment by Blogger Richard, at April 29, 2006 9:26 pm  :

Before the Xbox came out I got a call from a market research guy asking about names for Microsoft?s new console. I wish I could remember what some of the others that were proposed were but I can definitely remember saying that Xbox was about the most uninspired name I could think of.

Nintendo was definitely generating some excitement over its new console after deciding not to compete with Microsoft and Sony on power and instead trying to compete with gameplay, but calling its console ?wee? sounds a lot like commercial suicide to me.



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at April 30, 2006 4:58 pm  :

The thing with Microsoft is that they've handled the Xbox very well indeed (passing discretely over the situation in Japan). Suprisingly well. Shame about the shite name.

But then, shite names tend to eventually stick. Let's face it, Gameboy or Walkman are both a bit rubbish when you think about it, but they soon enter the vernacular.

As for "wee", however...



Comment by Anonymous Anonymous, at May 01, 2006 4:13 pm  :

I had a Dragon 32 once. Had to buy Sprite Magic to have lowercase letters. Always worried when I'd reach my 6 millionth key stroke.



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at May 01, 2006 8:09 pm  :

Ah yes, the Dragon 32. Twelve better than the Vic 20!


Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

UKIP party election broadcast
Dara O'Briain 2006 tour live review
Muthaflickrn Pro
Heavy metal poetry
Collage of light
# Hush your mouth, this sound is when I spit it out #
Muthaflickr
Something old, something new - some music reviews
TV shows what I am currently enjoying
Site update - AdSense code removed

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.