Viper Squad Ten

[ Tuesday, June 17, 2003 ]


Stuart [13:43] Comments: 0 []
 
I feel very wierd doing this, and a bit dirty. But I've been invited, so i will attempt to embrace this wonderful technology as best I can. Far be it from me to say that i didn't know what a "blog" was until six months ago, and that's only becuase teh Guardian website kept going on about them (i realise the word "Guardian" should be a link, but i dunno how to do that. YET.)

Think Tank and 13 are profoundly unmoving, emotionless albums. Music should stir the heart, lift one's spirits (or indeed provide cathartic miserableness when required - I'm looking at you, Downward Spiral) and I don't think either of those albums do. I was at a party at the weekend and discussing excitedly my musical evolution (er, basically Madonna - Bon Jovi - thrash metal - Faith No More - indie - dance - pretty much anything), the important bit being Faith No More, and this guy had a similar sonic trajectory and we both agreed that FNM changed our lives (sadly). THINK, if you will (well Andy should anyway, as i know he's been through this to a greater or lesser extent) when you first heard FNM. First bought The Real Thing. First heard Been Caught Stealing by Jane's. THAT'S the power of music, and not every album or song does that, but they could (and should). And neither 13 or TT do, for me at least. WHEREAS look at Parklife, and even Blur - brilliant, stirring, wonderful.

P.S., Harvey, I was listening to Come WIth Us last night, and again, it's just not top notch. Compare any of it to the first two tracks from Exit Planet Dust - pah.

But anyway, i'm a ridiculous musical snob who's read NME for too long and is too old to do so now. I always remember Gill saying that I liked music in the way a virgin does, sort of like a 14 year old boy. I took that as an insult at the time (er probably because i WAS a virgin at the time) but now i take it as a compliment.

Er anyway, is that the sound of a million computers turning themselves off? Bye...


0 Comment(s):

Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

Slightly fuzzy head after a day-long stag night. A...
I've received some feedback from a couple of peopl...
Car alarms I can deal with - with your pillow wrap...
Just thinking, whilst replying to Matt's Matrix-re...
Am I a nerd? Am I a geek? Is the fact that I check...
Not gonna get stuck on working out this damn Matri...
More late night Reloaded discussion surfing, when ...
Back in England after a very relaxing week and a b...
Chucked the code from Stephen Downes' website into...
Woah! To paraphrase Keanu's defining acting moment...

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.