Viper Squad Ten

[ Thursday, July 07, 2005 ]

Explosions in London
Starbuck [10:43] Comments: 6 []
 
I've just read about this morning's explosions on buses and the London Underground.

No concrete news as yet on the causes, and it would be both tasteless and futile for me to pontificate.

Although I try not to worry about life and death when there's nothing that I myself can do, it still makes me hope that the many people I know who work in the affected areas are safe and calm.

VALUABLE LINK from The Guardian Newsblog for keeping up with the news as it develops.

11:56 UPDATE: Harriet's blog provides an on-the-spot description of the resulting travel chaos this morning. A well-written account of the unsettling confusion that spreads out from the epicentre of such a tragedy to the population at large.

17:07 UPDATE: Equally valuable is this piece from Cyber-Satan.com. Poignant in all manner of ways.

Reading these words by people who I regard as friends - normal people like myself living normal lives - and how this tragedy has touched their world, it makes an impact that so many news-reports can't access by the very nature of reporting on their lives as opposed to the "breaking news".

And suprisingly and strangely perhaps stupidly, after reading Astolath's writing, I wish I was there to help heal London's wounds. Although I'd only lived there for just a few years until I moved away to be with my wife, I still feel like a part of our great capital, I still feel like a true Londoner. And my heart bleeds for Tavistock Square, having spent many happy times there.


6 Comment(s):


Comment by Blogger 3rd daughter, at July 07, 2005 2:27 pm  :

madness! i am heartbroken at this news and really don't know what else to say.



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at July 07, 2005 2:51 pm  :

I know what you mean, Susan. My own words just aren't enough.

I used to work right near to the bus explosion at Tavistock Square, and I've heard from some of my ex-colleagues about it - it sounds terrible. And having worked alot near Kings Cross and Russell Square I can't help but but imagine myself in the hell of their evacuation...

A terrible day indeed, but London will survive - years if IRA terrorism has made them more resilient than most against such terror.



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at July 07, 2005 2:55 pm  :

All I can add is that it may be incredibly painfully difficult, but we shouldn't "over-react" to this as such.

We need to take a deep breath and continue the long slow push to develop a better world for all.

That is the only way stop the violence, hatred and ignorance.

Though maybe the modern world just isn't open to simple idealism any more.



Comment by Blogger The Saturnyne, at July 07, 2005 6:39 pm  :

We live in a mad and heartless world. Still have yet to hear from one of my friends. Am sure he'll be ok.

I wonder how Tony feels about invading Iraq, now?

I agree about overreacting though. People should know that muslims just aren't like these people.

S.



Comment by Anonymous Anonymous, at July 08, 2005 8:10 am  :

It still hasn't sunk it yet. What it has shown though, is that Britain truly is Great. The way our people have come through this and put the stiff upper lip back on, is admirable. We won't let these bastards get us down. They will not win.



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at July 09, 2005 6:20 pm  :

Didn't get round to responding, to my shame.

Hope that your friend's OK, Saturnyne.

And you all take care, y'hear.

Love to you all...

Andy


Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

Hacked off
Googlewhacked!
Live 8 review
Sleep and sleepability
Google video
Gouranga my friends!
Letters Play
Primal fear
Shaft and shift
Bad Wolf and the Daleks

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.