Viper Squad Ten

[ Tuesday, May 09, 2006 ]

Newsprint and new books
Starbuck [17:54] Comments: 5 []
 
I buy a newspaper every day. The Guardian, it is. And there's a lot of words to take in every day.

I've also got an awful lot of unread books stockpiled, and I've not managed to read a novel in nearly a year now. I need to catch up, though I've got enough to take me through my retirement as it is.

This morning I vowed that I would restrict my newspaper purchases to Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays (I would restrict myself further if I didn't enjoy those days' inner sections so much.) This would give me some valuable extra time to bury myself within fictional texts again, to recharge the cores of my imagination.

I popped into the local shop for lunch. They were giving away a free books (Random House Vintage Classics) with each newspaper.

I brought three. Oops.
New book inventory:
The Sorrow of War - Bao Ninh
Nineteen Twenty-One - Adam Thorpe
Lovely Green Eyes - Arnost Lustig


5 Comment(s):


Comment by Blogger Stuart, at May 10, 2006 9:53 am  :

That will be... media (?) Monday, obviously technology Thursday (I like that too), Music and Film Friday, and just all the general loveliness on Saturday. But do you buy the Observer too? I try to especially when there is the music and food mags, and not so much for sport and wimmin. I might go so far as to controversially say that notwithstanding the above, the Saturday Guardian is a better "weekend read" than the Observer.

Wow.



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at May 10, 2006 10:26 am  :

Re: the dates - you got it in one! Your crisp fiver will be winging its way to you...

I hardly ever get the Observer, and if I do its only when I've remembered to get if for Music Monthly.

And re: the Saturday Guardian - yes, it is the loveliest thing ever in the world of newspapers (though not as good as when you got The Editor section with it).



Comment by Blogger birdychirp, at May 10, 2006 8:03 pm  :

Bah - observer women is WOEFUL pants.

Do you need book recommendations? I never buy a newspaper.. I do read them online though.



Comment by Blogger Aiden Truss, at May 11, 2006 1:48 pm  :

Kind of know where you're coming from...

Having to read endless college texts, it's been tough reading anything just for relaxation.

Looking forward to a summer of reading what the hell I want!
:)



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at May 11, 2006 5:47 pm  :

I think I read papers to quieten down my brain static, certainly late at night when I'm loathe to shut my eyes until I'm absolutely ready to drop. And that's gotta be a habit to break.

Don't think I need any book recommendations, mind - I've got enough to get through...


Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

Waspicide
Timeframe - 366 days backwards - The Main Event
Our anniversary presents itself
Lost about the Hanso Foundation
This is a low. Nearly.
David Hasselhoff "Hooked on a Feeling" video
Nintendo smells of wii
UKIP party election broadcast
Dara O'Briain 2006 tour live review
Muthaflickrn Pro

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.