Viper Squad Ten

[ Wednesday, September 19, 2007 ]

2006 film & music roundup
Starbuck [19:00] Comments: 0 []
 
And talking of music, for the last nine months or so I've been meaning to publish the following already-much-delayed "cultural review of 2006" (though co-editor Stu's Music Round Up got there first, and much more conclusively.)

Top Two Albums

TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain

Excudes the same warmth and quality as pre-Neon Bible Arcade Fire. Brilliant.

Plan B - Who Needs Actions When You Got Words

Vital. Intelligent. Lyrically raw and horribly visceral. Best British album of 2006? Certainly best British rap album. And possibly internationally...

What Eminem might sound like if he came from East London, was a better musician, hadn't married Kim, and didn't feel the need to piss people off with juvenility as a weapon.

Real name Ben Drew, which sounds a bit like Ben Dover.
Top Two Films

Pan's Labyrinth

Children of Men

Aww, I was going to review these when they came out at the cinema, a whole bleedin' year ago. I keyed in hundreds of characters-worth of text message notes to myself on my mobile after each one, in readiness for sharing my joy, my wonderment, my excitement. I would type up some reviews, however you'll have seen them both by now, of course. And if you haven't, you really really should. Trust me on this one. Don't trust me on anything else. Just this.
[ADDENDUM]

One CD which I really should have mentioned was "Joanna Newsom - Ys".

I'm sure I had a periphrastic review of this wonderful album just waiting in my drafts, but the following will have to do:

Mesmerising and life-affirming. Beautiful, and incredibly human. It's helped me through difficult times.


0 Comment(s):

Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

Music musings
A promotional ident to drum up viewer interest ahe...
Black
Red
Signs of Life
James Nesbitt - the 11th Doctor Who?
Tedcase
OCD joke
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Cheap Innuendo
Musical Youth

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.