Viper Squad Ten

[ Monday, June 30, 2003 ]


Starbuck [17:59] Comments: 0 []
 
Well, what felt like the longest working day of my life has ended. I know I've been known to stretch the strings of space-time beyond the levels of elasticity in the past/future - the plasticity of previous distortions of the fourth dimension leaving me stranded in this century - but whatever, this day has dragged! Every minute has seemed like an hour. Which would made my working day 480 hours long. No wonder I'm knackered...

The trouble with today was that the weekend was just so damn perfect. No solid arrangements or responsibilities, just my girl and me, with mid-summer London as our playground.

We saw a lot of wonderful things over the course of our travels. But my eyes have now been opened to a whole new angle on the city. Sunday afternoon, after exploring the vibrancy of Regents Park - the loveliness of the gardens strangely complemented by the vibrancy of the endless pools of people enjoying the sunshine - we crossed over into Primrose Hill. At the base of the hill, well-kept houses on one side, London zoo across the road, the city at large shrouded by trees. As we climbed the hill, more and more of the city revealed itself above the tree-tops - every few metres, another distant landmark rising out of the greenery. And from the top of the hill, the most picturesque view of the city that I could imagine. Most of the famous buildings becoming apparent, whether looming large and unmistakable - Saint Paul's Cathedral, the London Eye, the BT Tower, Battersea Powerstation - or those perceptible more by calculation of angles and colours and relativity. And the Thames, hidden of course, but its course traceable from the pieces of the city on its bankside. The panorama, from the lowlands of the south-west of the city, to the sweeping hillsides against which the south-east nestles against, the vista being spiked by skyscrapers as it stretches over to the north-east. Magnificent.
And this seemed to be the key to the identity of the people of London. People all around, excitedly pointing out the buildings they recognised to their friends, marvelling at the beauty of seeing the city they love through a different lens.

And after, the gentle walk along the deeply-cut Regents Canal, an unspolit world separate from the city at large...


0 Comment(s):

Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

Suicidal tiny moths, flittering round my computer ...
I've been watching 24 out of the corner of my eye ...
Another Matrix posting. Click here to jump beyond ...
I do like this new Blogger build. Nice and solid. ...
Thrash-metal stereotypes Slayer once wrote a song ...
Just when I think I've broken free, when I'm getti...
Hmm. That bloke (Aaron Barschak) who dresses up as...
I've travelled the world, and I've been to some am...
(Bugger. Powersurge's PC just got rebooted by a po...
I feel very wierd doing this, and a bit dirty. Bu...

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.