Viper Squad Ten

[ Friday, December 16, 2005 ]

Starbuck's Christmas Message
Starbuck [10:30] Comments: 5 []
 


I love this time of year.

Ancient memories of frost-tinged excitement - inherited from our Pagan forebears back when modern religion was but a twinkle in a politician's eye - mingle with my personal nostalgia of childhood excitement.

I love the ritual of Christmas, the tradition, the feeling that the country is excited as one. I love the thinking of others, the sharing, the giving, the joining of family. The time off work.

I love it's difference in comparison to the rest of the year - the sense that the nation has been working up to this for 12 months, and now we're going to have a party. I love the fact that, as such, the television companies feel they have to pull out all the stops. And the organ-players.

I love everything except it's religious conoctations (although some of it does again make me dewy-eyed with childhood nostalgia, such as the thought of clopping two coconut shells together as accompaniment to Little Donkey in a candle-lit church), but I'd sound like a right plonker if I started wishing everyone a Merry Yule, so I'll stick with the common vernacular thankyouverymuch. I don't want to get all Neopagan on your ass.

But as well as the Winter Solstice festivities, which celebrate the passing shortened days and the revitalisation of the sun (or something), this time of year marks a very special birth.

Mine.

Oh, and VSX sub-editor Stu as well.

Which all helps to make December Number One in Starbuck's Top Twelve Month Chart Rundown. Yip yip yip.


[This article was entitled Starbuck's Christmas Message. I've not quite got round to disseminating my planned message on how to make the world a better place, much like wot the Queen does on the twentyfifth. I guess I'll have to defer for a few days my plans to heal the world and make it a better place (© MJ). Hope her Maj doesn't mind if I encroach on her territory.]



5 Comment(s):


Comment by Blogger 3rd daughter, at December 17, 2005 3:36 am  :

happy birthday for whenever it is/was. i love the snowdrop background :)



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at December 17, 2005 12:11 pm  :

Cheers, Susan. Five days to go to be honest. Or two/three/cannae recall for Stu... so happy birthday to him first!



Comment by Blogger 3rd daughter, at December 17, 2005 2:01 pm  :

oops!! sorry - happy birthday stu!! is yours 22nd then starbuck? i went to a birthday cocktail party tonight (sat 17th) for a friend who has his b'day on 22nd. hic.. i'm off to sleep now :)



Comment by Anonymous Anonymous, at December 17, 2005 10:22 pm  :

Christmas. Overeating, overdrinking, overdosing on tv, bloatedness, nodding off in front of the tv, more overeating, more overdrinking, more bloatedness, more sleep.

Christmas. We only do it for the kids.



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at December 19, 2005 9:08 am  :

Yes, Max, the kids love it - all that fizzy pop! - but for the rest of us it's hell!

And Susan, my birth date is shrouded in mystery, but thanks, and yes!


Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

Christmas shopping
Girding my loins
FOLLOW UP TO LAST POST... FILMS OF THE YEAR
TOP TENS OF 2005
Howl's Moving Castle
Christ on a bike!
"The preposterous bollox of the situation"
The benefits of blog silence
Diggie Houser MF
The Festive Fifty

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.