Viper Squad Ten

[ Wednesday, December 07, 2005 ]

TOP TENS OF 2005
Stuart [18:09] Comments: 3 []
 
MUSIC

Current Top Ten... (pretty much in order)

Arcade Fire - Funeral
Eels - Blinking Lights...
Editors - The Back Room
LCD Soundsystem
Gorillaz - Demon Days
BMRC - Howl
Dandy Warhols - Odditorium
Nine Inch Nails - WIth Teeth
Goldfrapp - Supernature
Four Tet - Everything Ecstatic/Royksopp - The Understanding/Chemical Brothers - Push the Button/Dalek - Absence/65 Days of Static - One Time For All Time

The number 10 spot (which I realise has 5 contenders) could drop off in favour of one of these runners up/possible contenders...

Sons and Daughters - The Repulsion Box
Death From Above 1979 - You're a Woman I'm a Machine
Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better With
Idlewild - Warnings/Promises
Nine Black Alps - Everything Is

CDs that I have bought that might have, but did not make it, not even into the runners up...

QOTSA
Coldplay
Bloc Party
Kaiser Chiefs

CDs that might have been in there if I'd bought them and heard them...

Foo Fighters
White Stripes
SFA

FILM

A tie at first place between:

A History Of Violence/Sideways

Then, in no particular order,

Batman Begins
The Descent
Star Wars (if only as an honoury mention)

Erm...

I'm a bit stuck now.

Top 5 films then... I must have watched lots more... none were much good though. Or were they?

C'mon I need some help here.


3 Comment(s):


Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at December 08, 2005 1:24 pm  :

Hey, great stuff. Yet more to add to my Amazon Wish List (already bulging under the weight of unbought presents!)

Few objections, though.

Push The Button was massively disappointing for me. Very limp. Even preferred the new Prodigy one by a long way.

With Teeth didn't stand up to much-repeated listens (though it does remind me of my honeymoon, so that's nice). That said, I was listening to it yesterday to try to siphon off some anger & frustration (man) and it sounded good again then...

I've always wanted some Black Rebel Motorcycle Club in my life- what should I get, Mr Muso?

I'd shove Sigur Ros' Takk in my list too. Nice.

Films - I shall have to follow up your follow-up at a later date...



Comment by Blogger Stuart, at December 08, 2005 4:45 pm  :

Nope. Incorrect. i thought PTB was rubbish (RUBBISH) to begin with - too much unnecessary vocal action (partic that one with Kele from Bloc Party - what a great track that would be without the singing!) but over time, with repeated listens - ah yeah man. You can see how stagnated they were with Come With Us now.

NIN I reckon has some of thier greatest tracks on. Agreed stuff like the Collector is a bit crap but that one at the end (twice) is just ace. And er other ones.

Howl is quite a change in direction - less JAMC and more folky/countryfied. But it still has enough fuzz to keep me happy. Get that, then the first (just BRMC) and ignore the second one.



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at December 08, 2005 5:53 pm  :

Ah, yes, "The Collector" - an incredibly naff song. And there shouldn't be any duds on a NIN album. Just Pete's.

The last 2 (or 3 on the UK release with the last x 2) are pretty fantastic as you say. Especially the last but one (UK). I think. I'm getting confused.

And good to see old Trent Reznor getting to grips with the old Fermi paradox in the last half of the album (I think), as he looks beyond the smoke and mirrors that hides the true situation - the reality governing our place in the Universe - that mankind fails to see.

Or something.


Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

Howl's Moving Castle
Christ on a bike!
"The preposterous bollox of the situation"
The benefits of blog silence
Diggie Houser MF
The Festive Fifty
Children In Need
VSX - an apology
The League Against Tedium
Leave it!

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.