Viper Squad Ten

[ Sunday, July 16, 2006 ]

Mini-Musi-Revu-Si's
Stuart [11:17] Comments: 5 []
 
I have been buying loads of CDs. These reviews are less than 100 words each. Reviews up to 100 words each available elsewhere.

PEEPING TOM

The long-awaited Mike Patton "as commercial as Faith No More" project. Lots of guest vocalists, knob twiddlers. Has been described as "dark trip hop" but not by me. It's very FNM, only with less guitars. It's bloody brilliant.

THOM YORKE - ERASER

Very hard work this one. Kind of like Kid A only more miserable and even more squelchy. Can't help thinking he should chill out a bit, and that I'd be better off listening to some of the people he's copying rather than this pale imitation. That way I would avoid his whining too.

Digression - I went to see the Head at Victoria Park years ago just after Kid A and they played there because they could put the shows on themselves and do it in as non-corporate way as possible (man). I always remember arriving to see hundreds of enormous Budweiser and Virgin lorries everywhere. And now they're playing V. Sure they have to play somewhere, but stop moaning about it already.

MUSE - BLACKHOLES AND REVELATIONS

Quite simply utterly (a) ridiculous and (b) superb. How a band can so shamelessly evoke one of my most hated bands (Queen) and yet I still love them, I don't know. Supermassive Blackhole (which doesn't sound like Queen) is single of the year hands down.

TV ON THE RADIO - RETURN TO COOKIE MOUNTAIN

On my first listen as we speak. Bowie loves them and that's not the only immediate similarity with Arcade Fire. Experimental without being rubbish... I hear saxophones... interesting song structures... could be more than vocalist... erm sounding good so far.

GET CAPE WEAR CAPE FLY

Best name ever. Sounds okay too.

SUMMER SINGLES REVIEWS

Lilly Allen - Smile

The sound of London in the summer (copyright everyone). It really is great though.

Simian (remix thing) - We Are Your Friends

The sound of everywhere else in the summer (copyright me). It's great too.

Christine Aguilera - Ain't No Other Man

I haven't heard it but someone told me it is "pop genius". Is it better than Lilly though? She's the sound of... oh I've done that one.

HMV SALE PURCHASE REVIEWS

The La's (£2.99)

Meant to be a bit of a classic innit? Sounds like a load of dated old sea shanties to me though. There She Goes must be the most unrepresentative single pulled from an album EVER.

Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power (£3.99)

Greatest album cover of all time even though he hated it initially. Not as good as The Stooges or Fun House though.


5 Comment(s):


Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at July 16, 2006 6:02 pm  :

Cheers, Stu. More stuff to add to the Amazon WishList.

I would write more... but... got... guests... arriving... any moment... deodorant not dried...



Comment by Anonymous Anonymous, at July 16, 2006 8:27 pm  :

Lily Allen's Smile I believe is this year's song of the summer. I have her 1st Leicester Sq's live performance on my set-top's HD.

Am currently enjoying her father, too - please let me finish - in the ITV 4 repeats of A Very British Coup. He's not a bad ickle actor is he?



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at July 17, 2006 7:24 pm  :

I like Keith Allen, despite myself. I know I shouldn't, but I can't help it. Not helped by the fact that he is indeed a good ickle actor, and he seems to be getting better...



Comment by Blogger Stuart, at July 18, 2006 2:19 pm  :

he has never bettered when we was the tooth fairy in those adverts.

C'mon guys, he's a prize **** and no mistake.



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at July 18, 2006 5:40 pm  :

Ha hah! I'd forgotten about the tooth fairy adverts. I don't think I can forgive him for that after all.

Or for putting Vindaloo on my IntJukebox once more.

Good in Bodies, mind. And in that Al Fayed documentary, though that's more to do with the hand of Victor Lewis-Smith. Annoying when in anything associated with Danny Boyle.


Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

Normal service will temporarily be replaced by the...
Read this: Astolath on Orwell
Animal Rescue Aftermath
Download older Zonealarm versions compatible with ...
Last night I dreamt I was looking up Billy Idol's ...
This Week I have Mostly Been
Put Me Together Again (and the alternative program...
Bad reviews
Operation: Mindcrime
Wednesday 22nd June - its all downhill from here...

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.