Viper Squad Ten

[ Monday, March 12, 2007 ]

Rod Hull and Emusical jokes
Starbuck [17:36] Comments: 4 []
 
Its the little things that tell you you're turning into an old duffer.

Standing at the checkout in Tesco at the weekend I was listening to the conversation between the the bloke on the checkout and his lurking mate. "Ah hah, a joke," I thought, as his giggling associate initiated the common root structure behind a popular form of witticism, "I like jokes!".

The joke was thus:
How many emus does it take to change a light bulb?
None, 'cos they're too busy crying in the corner.
"Hmmm. Not so funny", I thought, as I pondered the 1999 roof-fall death of the popular emu-puppet-funnyman Rod Hull. "And not too contemporary, either."

Strange too, considering that the young whippersnapper of a lad on the till must've been less than 8 when his fatal Champions-League-TV-aerial-adjustment-error took place. "Guess it must've shaken the poor kid up pretty bad to remember something like that. Still, he's putting on a brave face, gallows humour and that."

The boy's mate then started pointing repeatedly at him, taunting "Emu, emu, emu. Emo."

Ah, yes. Emo. A definition of musical genre that has largely passed me by, especially in its utter pointlessness modern form. Its like when 2 Unlimited called themselves "Techno", and an entire fabulous musical genre became tainted in the minds of the ill-informed masses by the piss-stain of their cheap commercial bandwagonism.

This ain't a scene its a goddamn arseface. C'mon, techno techno techno techno.


4 Comment(s):


Comment by Blogger birdychirp, at March 12, 2007 8:36 pm  :

Waaah! you old duffer.

Have you seen this;

http://troubled-diva.com/2007_03_04_troubled-diva_archive.html#8007161919576571097

cos you're a very funny man.



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at March 13, 2007 1:39 pm  :

I'd not seen that, but I have now.

I've been called funny many at a time, usually in the way that Jimmy Saville or - hey! - Rod Hull might be called funny. It usually initiates a scrap.

Hell, I might as well throw my words at them, despite my misgivings about my own shortcomings. And that.

Cheers!



Comment by Anonymous Anonymous, at March 24, 2007 6:31 pm  :

You like jokes? I heard this on Countdown only yesterday from dictionary corner guest Keith Barron:

Two old men in a pub. One says to the other: "Winston, your flies are undone!" The other one says: "Do not concern yourself too much about that, dead birds never fly from their nest."



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at March 26, 2007 10:03 am  :

I think I'm going to be sick.

(Queue disturbing memories of seeing Keith Barron doing a love scene on telly a few years back).


Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

Welcome To The World
Litterbuggers
Musical interlude
Davros and the Mechanics
Tim Minchin review
Cable customers: Sky's the limit
Fat Neck
In depth mobile phone review
Red Hot film review
Nematurd

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.