Viper Squad Ten

[ Saturday, March 03, 2007 ]

Davros and the Mechanics
Starbuck [23:17] Comments: 4 []
 

I lead an exciting progressive life.

Watching Genesis of the Daleks on DVD last night, my conscious awareness was washed with some gentle waves of memory from my childhood.

Before checking the transmission date I had assumed I must've watched the story on TV as a child, but as Sarah Jane climbed the missile gantry the memories coalesced and sharpened. Sitting in my bottom bunk bed bunk as a small child, re-reading the chapter so that I could visualise her escape as clearly as I could.

A strange but wonderful feeling revisiting a story from my early childhood memory after such a time and in a different media, though I must say that the special effects were a lot better in my 1970s imagination, the surface of quarry/planet Skaro especially.

My nephew's a big Doctor Who fan, and he'd be about the same age as I was when I first read Genesis. I'd like to think that, although many of his current memories will be washed away by the synaptic ebb and flow of progression through life, he'll still be unearthing chunks of Who memories decades down the line.

Epilogue - Why I Still Like Doctor Who So Much
  1. It's a link to my childhood, and its something I've thus had ownership of for the whole of my life
  2. Because it reminds me of my stag party, which took place just a few weeks into the Russell T Davies Who revival. A group of overexcited thirtysomething men whipping themselves into a sci-fi frenzy. And, as such, it reminds me of my wedding! Ahhh...


4 Comment(s):


Comment by Anonymous Anonymous, at March 05, 2007 10:46 am  :

As a keen Daleks fan, you're sure to want to try this:

Dalek Chocolate Cake

Don't forget to save us a slice!



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at March 05, 2007 5:52 pm  :

Thanks for pointing me in that direction Chris, that's pretty amazing! Looks wonderful.

So... much.... chocolate.....

I had my own Dalek birthday cake a few months back, courtesy of Tesco. Very nice it was too, but it couldn't possibly compare to that magnificent home-made Chocolate Monster.

In fact, I'm feeling motivated now... that might well become the very first proper cake that I ever try to make. Er, build.

I've already got the Dalek "Exterminate" bottle opener and a Dalek "Exterminate" push-button, so along with my TARDIS SMS mobile tone, I could recreate a particularly tasty Who episode!



Comment by Blogger Ron Lyre, at March 05, 2007 9:33 pm  :

I take it you've seen this?

http://www.craftzine.com/blog/archive/2007/02/crochet_dalek.html



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at March 06, 2007 5:44 pm  :

Oh man, that's rather wonderful.

Its a willy warmer!

Only joking, its flipping marvellous!


Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

Tim Minchin review
Cable customers: Sky's the limit
Fat Neck
In depth mobile phone review
Red Hot film review
Nematurd
Five things you didn't want to know about me
My bloody Valenteeth
My Bloody Valentine
Sledge Hammer

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.