Viper Squad Ten

[ Wednesday, June 15, 2005 ]

The God Squad
Starbuck [19:14] Comments: 2 []
 
Today at lunchtime I was approached by a couple of members of a self-confessed Christian group, and asked whether I would be happy to answer a few questions from their survey. After a few seconds thought I declined as I was enjoying a shami kebab and the newspaper at the time.

I immediately started to regret missing my chance to provide some "counter-evangelism" to support my side of the faith balance, figuring that those who might agree to answer would be quite charged-up on God already. I wanted to help put across how contented a life based purely on those (God-given!) attributes of thought, knowledge and moral humanity can be. And I've thought long and hard about the evolutionary reasons for the persistence of our propensity for belief - Darwin roolz and all that. However I thought I'd look slightly sad chasing after them shouting "Stop, I absolutely must have my say!"

Lo and behold, five minutes later, another small group of Xians appeared, and this time I willingly answered their questionnaire, and aside from the awkward moment when one of them offered up some some reading material about the Gospels (despite me being a self-confessed absolute zero non-believer), it appeared to be a thoroughly pleasant experience for all.

God really does move in mysterious ways!


2 Comment(s):


Comment by Blogger Aiden Truss, at June 16, 2005 10:39 am  :

I love the God Squad encounters...

They're so much fun, primarily because they know very little about anything other than their spoon-fed beliefs. Try a basic theological argument on one of them and they're quickly baffled.

They use 'God' as a shortcut past the things they can't understand and seem to expect others to have the same intellectual shortcomings.

Bless 'em!
:)



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at June 16, 2005 1:50 pm  :

Astolath, you've put it much better than I could (or "would", consider I don't want to alien8 my religious friends too much...)


Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

Fat neck
Sounding bored
***Sub-editor Posting Alert***
Starbuck's suggested wedding disco set
The Groom's Wedding Speech!
Missing person
Catching a breath...
The Main Event
Going without a hitch
Another Wedding Update plus Miscellaneous Tat

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.