Viper Squad Ten

[ Monday, June 06, 2005 ]

***Sub-editor Posting Alert***
Stuart [13:59] Comments: 4 []
 
I've been asked by Starbuck to write stuff, and have so far failed admirably in doing so. It takes me a while to get my juices flowing (as will be attested to by any number of... no, that's not right) so I thought I'd limber up with some of favourite things. Reviews. In no particular order...

NINE INCH NAILS - WITH TEETH

Really very good and better than it could have been. LOADS better. Lot more structured than The Fragile (i.e. Trent didn't dump loads of half finished recordings on Moulder's doorstep asking him to make it into an album), lots more vocal tracks, more throwaway than Downward Spiral (but what isn't) and sounds a bit like Garbage in places. Which may not be great. Looking forward to seeing them twice at brixton! (that's not part of the review, that's me showing off and being far too excitable about NIN at my advancing years)

COLDPLAY - X & Y

Haven't heard it yet, but I guarantee it will be rubbish and disappointing on the first few listens and will by the end of next week be the best album, ever. Never has greatest been so predictable and boring.

STAR WARS EPISODE III

Arghh huge problems with this one. Went in far too excited, came out far too disappointed (and tired, as i saw a midnight show on the day of release before going off on holiday). So I need to see it again to make sure, which is what apologists say about films that just aren't any good. Damn.

LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN'S APOCALYPSE

Good, not great. Bit unnecessary (its existence I mean) and random (even by their standards). Saw it on Saturday and one of the audience was laughing and talking to the screen as if the characters could hear him (e.g. Geoff farts, and he shouts "oh NOOO, Geoff!") Some very nasty bits, which we all like, and some nice little touchs (Soho square for instance) and a great beginning.

Er... is that it? Yeah. In other news, music is great and life is good.

Over and out.

Stu


4 Comment(s):


Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at June 08, 2005 9:18 am  :

Cheers for that, Sub-editor Stu, for keeping the words flowing whilst I'm especially snowed under.

And thanks for the spoiler warning, however I couldn't quite work out which crucial plot elements you've given away (LoG being "a bit nasty in places"?)

I'd been wondering about seeing RotS sometime soon, but wasn't especially keen. I didn't want to go on my own, and I couldn't cope with trying to explain the last 2 Star Wars films to Mrs Powersurge, only for the new one to be equally as shite. So I might not bother.

That said, I'm probably going to drag her to League of Gentleman, which she won't have a CLUE about...

Talking of films, I saw Sin City last night, but it was in a dream. It was fantastic, and the most violent thing I've ever seen in my life. In my dream it was anyway...

Right, could you now, in your sub-editorship, report on my experiences of the wedding day and honeymoon for me?

Perhaps not...



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at June 08, 2005 3:08 pm  :

Forgot to mention Coldplay...

I bought their previous album last year and listened to it just once.

I guess it might've made more of an impact if I hadn't heard pretty much all the songs to death on the radio.

And it might've felt more exciting if I wasn't falling asleep on the motorway at the time anyway.

Or it might just've been incredibly boringly insipid (but with some very nice gloss). IMHO.



Comment by Blogger Stuart, at June 09, 2005 2:07 pm  :

Do I get the prize?



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at June 09, 2005 5:59 pm  :

Yes, well done. Take your choice from the following:

1) Your very own blog - collect it from HERE.

2) A kick in the teeth.

3) Some advice: Go and watch the new Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy film - its brrrrilliant.

4) A nice photo of yourself published right here on VSX.


Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

Starbuck's suggested wedding disco set
The Groom's Wedding Speech!
Missing person
Catching a breath...
The Main Event
Going without a hitch
Another Wedding Update plus Miscellaneous Tat
Wedding update
Election ploblems
# Reasons to be cheerful... one, two three #

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.