Viper Squad Ten

[ Wednesday, August 10, 2005 ]

Music to move you
Starbuck [13:02] Comments: 5 []
 
People are always coming up to me in the street and asking "Mr Powersurge, out of all the albums that you've heard this year, which two stand head and shoulders above the rest".

Well, the first would have to be Funeral by Arcade Fire.

A gorgeously beautiful, raw and honest album, expertly crafted and passionately played, it is the album that has been missing from my life all these years. Those who don't already own this should grab a copy now, no matter if they've not heard anything by the band before and no matter what sort of music they're into. It's that good. Something intensely human to oil your internal jukeboxes with.

And secondly, you need to buy the eponymously-titled debut from Kasabian. Marvelously energising indie rock and dance that's so full of breadth there's no room for breath. The sort of thing that makes you wonder how people can still listen to Quo-rock like Oasis.

Its a pity that they've not shared the same meteoric rise as the Kaiser Chiefs (whose self-titled album admittedly had its moments but was overall pretty uninspiring) - surely Kasabian's trajectory should be taking them much further?

So many albums that I've been looking forward to over the past year have turned out to be fairly lackluster, so its heartening when two "blind purchases" turn out to be so impressive.

Now please stop coming up to me in the street and asking me stupid questions...


5 Comment(s):


Comment by Blogger 3rd daughter, at August 11, 2005 11:12 am  :

because i trust your judgement, i will seek them out. i do have one arcade fire song that i downloaded from the whirled wide whatever (totally legal!!) and i quite like it so the album will be mine. i have heard good things about kasabian elsewhere so will add them to the shopping cart also :)



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at August 11, 2005 1:01 pm  :

Oh (wo)man, I hope you like them - I'll feel horribly guilty if you don't.

Though I'm also beginning to feel the power of music journalism feeding though my fingertips... I could be the next Jonathan King... oh god, I hope not...

Oh, if you're on the interweb with your credit card and you're feeling generous, could you get me a remote controlled Dalek in return? Much appreciated, 3d.



Comment by Blogger Aiden Truss, at August 13, 2005 11:10 am  :

My younger siblings have been playing James Blunt's album all week and I've gone from thinking he's OK to hating the whining little shit! Thankfully another brother put me onto a couple of prog(ish) bands that have helped to clear Mr Blunt's anguished tones from my synapses. Now listening to 'Tug of War' by Enchant and 'Adam and Eve' by The Flower Kings - top stuff! Heard good things about Arcade Fire though, so might download a few tracks to see what they're all about. Didn't think Kasabian were that special though...



Comment by Blogger Stuart, at August 15, 2005 10:13 am  :

Funny you should mention them in the same breath, because if the Kaiser Chiefs are the new (Britpop era) Blur, Kasabian are the new Happy Mondays. And we all know that the Mondays were RUBBISH! And so shall Kasabian be, forsooth.

Arcade Fire, however, are the greatest band to emerge this year or ever. It is truly a classic album already, and everyone should indeed own it. Words really cannot express how brilliant it is. Really.

The other great album of the year is of course Jesu's debut. Everyone should buy that too. An industrial Loveless, if you will.



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at August 15, 2005 6:38 pm  :

Huzzah for music! But as for Kasabian being like the Mondays, I would beg to differ in the extreme. Not at all.

More Primal Scream, but tons better. With a bit of Dust Brothers sprinkled in somewhere (but I'm not sure where). And some epic instrumentation. Magnificent. Though probably because they makes me feel like I'm on drugs, and, erm, I'm not.

As for Arcade Fire, I just can't get their melodies out of my head, to parrotface Kylie.


Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

Kubrik2001
Search engine secrets
Robin Cook RIP
Wedding bling
Random views
Evilutionary
Planarity
This is hardcore
Back to school!
Ungloved

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.