Viper Squad Ten

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 ]

Configuring Firefox to check for new page versions at each load
Starbuck [17:08] Comments: 1 []
 
Right, the last few days technical problems have really been getting on my manbreasts. Not only am I inconsolable that possibly the greatest piece of weblog wordsmithery (written by yours truly in response to Comments on my last posting) has been culled before my very eyes, but I am devastated that my plucky band of readers (2) had difficulty etching their own thoughts under the article in question. There's so many terrible things going on in the world, but this takes the biscuit, and I like biscuits.

The upshot of all this is that I've found a quick-and-easy way to force Firefox to check for a new version every time a webpage is loaded, as opposed to the default behaviour of loading pages from the browser cache "unless the page is out of date".

I'd noticed a few weeks back that Mozilla's finest had started displaying older versions of my blog. Days after posting up my usual "wit" and "wisdom" I'd fire up the browser, only to find an "out of date" version of the page, and only a forced "F5" reload would bring it up to date. Most annoying.

Unbeknownst to me, typing about:config in the address bar brings up a complete list of Firefox settings.

From there, changing browser.cache.check_doc_frequency to 1 convinces Firefox to look for an updated version every time a page is viewed. Zero checks once every browser session, perhaps better for a clunky old computer such as mine. 3 checks automatically, intermittently, or in my case not at all. And 2 is only for people who can't cope with change...


1 Comment(s):


Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at February 20, 2006 5:43 pm  :

Gaaaaah!


Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

A brand new blog. # Da da da daaaar.! #
Everyone's out to get you muddyfunster
What's so bad about giving a can opener for a Vale...
Tears, beers and tobogganeers
New Home Improvement
Teletextual healing
Internet Update
Sartorial stuff-up
Public apology
Comment'allez vous

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.