Viper Squad Ten

[ Friday, February 03, 2006 ]

VSX gets fundamental on your ass. Again.
Starbuck [12:17] Comments: 4 []
 
If there's one thing that annoys me more than religious people making a bit of a din about their supernatural claptrap (in my humble opinion which will probably earn me a place in hell), it's when such poppycock is forcibly shoved down my throat (such as when I'm told that I'm going to be going to hell).

Christians, Muslims, Sikhs - illiberal swathes of each have been making waves in the UK recently, trying to wash away our freedom to think. It's like a competition to see which of the Great Cults can infringe on the most liberties.

OK, I don't want to upset anyone's feelings, but certain sections of the religious fraternity seem so desperate to be upset and insulted by those that don't think the same way as them. And some sections are just poisonous. Hello "Christian Voice".

Well I feel insulted by the existence of most religions to be honest (with the exception of Buddhism which is just too deeply attuned to mind management to be in any way insulting. I wish I was a Buddhist). Yeah, I know that irrational belief has necessarily evolved to lift humanity from its primitive beginnings - that's all well and good, although I wish that we the global community could now transcend the medieval level that it's gotten stuck at.

Nope, but I'm insulted that any religious group has the right to censor what I can or can't think or do. Blasphemy does not exist. You might as well argue that you can't insult Santa Claus because some people believe in him (still, it doesn't mean to say that I'd want to insult the little poppets for it either).

Fundamentalism by whatever name polarises everything around it, not just those belligerently sticking to their beliefs. God knows We need some softer edges right now.

That said, it's true that I fundamentally know that I am correct in my own beliefs, and that anyone who believes in the supernatural is coming from a position of ignorance, social conditioning, and psychological evolutionary predilection, but that doesn't mean I should start picketing the churches, temples & synagogues...

Sorry. Perhaps this is all a bit controversial in this modern world of ours, where people don't even "believe" in evolution (as if belief is necessary). But we've got to stand firm for freedom of speech, so despite the recent uproar in the Muslim world over the publication of cartoons in the European press, I shall not be deterred from publishing an image of the Profit Mohamed:

Mr Fayed, with these returns you are spoiling us


4 Comment(s):


Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at February 03, 2006 5:04 pm  :

I've got a bit of a soft spot for Al-Fayed I must admit, despite his failings.

And that Victor Lewis-Smith documentary he did with Keith Allen was fantastic!



Comment by Blogger birdychirp, at February 05, 2006 2:10 pm  :

That's hilarious. And while I have slightly differing views to you on religion - I completely agree that evolution is a FACT - not something you believe in or otherwise....



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at February 06, 2006 1:27 pm  :

Very true, birdy.

(And note that I was very careful with my spelling not to erroneously implicate the Prophet Mohammad within my writing there. Don't want anyone to dangerously get the end of the stick!)



Comment by Anonymous Anonymous, at February 12, 2006 7:23 pm  :

How do you spell...Arrods?


Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

More on Google in China
Life, the universe, and everything update.
Famous person proxy spot
Google in China
GOT NO INTERNET!!!
Goodbye rented accommodation...
Preparatory thinking for the imminent house move
Norton Shistem Works. Doesn't.
An Open Letter to the Editor
New House & VSX preview

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.