Viper Squad Ten

[ Saturday, August 19, 2006 ]

Starbuck's funeral song
Starbuck [10:00] Comments: 5 []
 
I'm very aware of my mortality. Accidents happen. And as such I'd like to record in writing the song that I'd want played at my funeral.

Although I've informed a few people of this in the past, they're bound to have thought I was messing around or simply just plain forgotten. Having said that, the only family member who I know occasionally reads VSX is my cousin (her from the Karl Kennedy photo 6 posts back), so its up to you, Cous.

The song is called "My Body May Die" and its a collaboration by Pulp featuring The Swingle Singers, and its available on the Randall & Hopkirk (deceased) Soundtrack. It's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard - the musical arrangement is magical, the vocal harmonies glorious, the lyrics poignant.

Incidentally, those of you who saw Charlie Higson's 2000-2001 remake of R&H(d) starring Vic Reeves & Bob Mortimer may still find themselves haunted by this, the music from Marty's own funeral.
Pulp Vs The Swingle Singers - My Body May Die

[Jarvis Cocker]
I don't really think that you know
Just what you're getting in to,
Maybe you think this is just
Another fight to the death

[The Swingle Singers]
Come out with your hands raised
'Cos I've surrounded this place
Although there's no escape
I've got you covered
Yeah

[All]
My body may die but my heart will keep loving you baby
My body may die but my heart will keep loving you baby
My body may die.....


[JC - hesitantly]
...You think... I would leave you
I... could... never leave you
Wherever... you go...
I will be... by your side


[SS - interlaced with repeat of previous JC verse]
Nights are cold....
Without you to hold...
I can't see you...
I can't see you in the dark...

[Blended with layers from previous two verses]
[JC] You can't hide
[SS] Nights are cold....
[JC] You can't hide
[SS] Without you to hold...
[JC] You can't hide
[SS] I can't see you...
[JC] I can't see you in the dark...
[repeat]
JC You can't hide...

[Female harmonic vocal arrangements kick in]

[All]
My body may die but my heart will keep loving you baby
Our love with survive the passing of time believe me
My body may die but my heart will keep loving you baby
Oh our love with survive the passing of time believe me, believe...
My body may die but my heart will keep loving you baby
My body may die but my heart will keep loving you baby
My body may die...


5 Comment(s):


Comment by Anonymous Anonymous, at August 19, 2006 10:01 pm  :

Chin up, old chap. As the fellow said. Worse things happen at sea, y'know.



Comment by Blogger The Saturnyne, at August 25, 2006 5:54 am  :

yeah!

Giant Squid eating your face off!

Harpooned by japanese whalers!

Frotted by mermaids... mmm!

S.



Comment by Anonymous Anonymous, at August 31, 2006 6:30 pm  :

I was once plugged into an e-version of The House That Sailed Away" (by Pat Hutchins)... the kid who'd got hold of me wanted a precussive accompaniment to the classic children's story. So I know all about worse things happening at sea.

And that last thing never happened to Morgan...



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at March 18, 2007 7:36 pm  :

Thanks for pointing this out, Julie. I think latecomers to your group, not knowing its history and still in a early-web-world, are very much to blame - people like me who came to you through this song, and whose eyesight let them down on the CD inlay!

I've corrected the post (don't want to make things complicated should I unexpectedly pop my clogs).

Your singing, from the admittedly little I've heard so far, certainly doesn't deserve a misnomer - its stunning!

And its my duty to seek our more...

(Swingle Singers website: www.swinglesingers.com)



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at April 19, 2007 12:25 pm  :

Hold up. I've checked the CD case, and they've only gone and misprinted the box...


Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

Your Religion Post(s)
Monsoon Wedding
Internal Jukebox Update
Wireless Matrix
Beggars Belief
Electric Dreamz
The Exclamation Mark and The Terror Threat
The Foreign Policy Threat
Coming on like a blaxploitation Star Wars
Reasons why I'm an idiot... one, two, three

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.