Viper Squad Ten

[ Monday, September 11, 2006 ]

Music & TV review snooze
Starbuck [19:57] Comments: 3 []
 
  • Kasabian - Empire - Disappointing to mine own ears, admitedly after a scant few listens. I don't want Kasabian to be doing acoustic ballads or Oasisalike anthems. I want them to be the sound of a cybernetic thrill-seeker, jacked into the AI-hijacked mains, with its adrenal glands narcotically jammed open. Psychedelics,

  • Lily Allen - OK, I don't have her album, but I can't deny that what I've heard has been good. There's just one thing bugging me... surely she's the Louise Wener for the post-Britpop age?

  • I'm With Stupid (BBC3) - I must admit that I'm a massive fan of actor Mark Benton, who plays Sheldon the "entrapped tramp" in this new sitcom set within a Sheltered Accommodation facility. The man can do no wrong... even those Nationwide adverts make me smile. Throw in Paul Henshall from Holby being somewhat over-mischievous, as well as the lovely Ruth Jones from Saxondale and Nighty Night as the warden, and a good supporting cast of residents. A sitcom with a differerent "situation" to most, and its good to see disabled characters being treated as real people... erm... real characters, rather than (and I use this word from a distance) "special".

  • The Charlotte Church Show (C4) - Words cannot describe just how bad most of this is. Worst still, I'm warming to it! Charlotte seems very likeable and charismatic enough when she's chatting and interviewing her guests, the trouble is that so far this is only takes up a small fraction of the show. The rest is scripted by idiots.


3 Comment(s):


Comment by Blogger Stuart, at September 12, 2006 1:44 pm  :

Kasabian - they're rubbish man. Their whole reason for being is to morph into the worst bit of Oasis spliced with the Happy Mondays (of which there are only worst bits).

Lily Allen - great song but we're bored of you already love.

Wotsit BBC3 blah - haven't seen it.

Charlotte Church - I agree. Terrible yet terribly compulsive. It even succeeded last Friday from keeping me off the objectively far superior Ross on one (in no small part aided by Ali G following it). I can confirm that it has achieved one good thing though - it has suppressed (well extinguished) my erstwhile fancying of the Welsh strumpet. I suspected the moving living breathing version wouldn't be as attractive as the stationary 2D version of still photos and lo it came to pass.



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at September 12, 2006 4:49 pm  :

Never seen the CC "physical attraction" myself.

Anyway, I reckon that the show was better this week (or worse, ie less compulsively awful). Or I may have been significantly more drunk. Or, thinking back, playing the DS at the same time.

Couldn't get much worse than the first - she was like one of the worse guest hosts from The Friday Night project, despite being the host. And seeing guest Denise Van Outen harked back to the previous worst Friday night show, Something For The Weekend...

Re: Kasabian - I shall restate my position that the first album is wonderful. There is only one Happy Mondays'ish track (thingeybob Beats), and that's the one song I don't like. The rest is addictive as crack, but with tunes, and provides tunes that make you feel you're in the best computer game ever, for some reason.

Then again it could be that it reminds me of the week before my wedding...



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at October 09, 2006 10:49 am  :

Nah, I was just getting myself in a linguistic mess over the use of the word "real" for a bunch of imaginary characters...

But yes, I like.


Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

Wildlife and washing
Starbuck Powersurge back in business
Map of the Lost Island
Durm Chamine on computer game characters
Durm Chamine - the Funky Drum Machine
I refer the right honourable reader to an earlier ...
Starbuck's funeral song
Your Religion Post(s)
Monsoon Wedding
Internal Jukebox Update

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.