Viper Squad Ten

[ Tuesday, July 15, 2003 ]


Starbuck [21:01] Comments: 0 []
 
The trouble with the world today, is that you can't just read predictions on potentially forthcoming scary global events and think "Nah, that'll never happen - they'd never be that stupid!" anymore. When Bush started muttering about Iraq post 9-11, it was easy to think "This'll never happen - he's just making threatening noises; surely the advisors'll ensure nothing could go ahead unless it needed to. Surely people'd look at the whole picture before stumbling forward." But the noises continued, and here we are now.

And now, to the other components of his axis of evil. Surely he'll not take on Iran and North Korea. But then you read that senior Democrat William Perry thinks that North Korea is firmly 'on the path to war with US', and you get just a little bit worried. Unlike Iran, North Korea is such a hermetically-sealed country, politically and socially, this one could be very difficult. Shudder.

There's one bit of good news happening in an already "liberated" country, however. Afghanistan is being rebuilt with the help of the Linux operating system. And hopefully, with Linux, it'll be able to thrive freely away from the money-grasping, bloated claws of Microsoft. Who knows, maybe this trend for good will spread. Open-source is the way forward. We need it to succeed, as M$ needs serious competition to force it try harder for its users.

(What a hypocrite I am; I'm still cranking up clunky old Windows Me every day!)


0 Comment(s):

Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

Before I got sidetracked on my previous post, all ...
A big grin is on my face as I type, after getting ...
I'm once again basking in the afterglow of another...
Right, I've finally corrected my time-zone in my b...
As I sat outside the pub at Marylebone station thi...
What Matrix Persona are you? I am Neo!
Just done a quick scan of my URL on Technorati - a...
Well, the day's been a little bit different to nor...
Postpub....... a few pints, and some bad sectors o...
A big thank-you to Joy at Confessions of a G33k fo...

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.