Viper Squad Ten

[ Tuesday, September 06, 2005 ]

Flamin' Galah!
Starbuck [19:32] Comments: 7 []
 

I must share the one thing that I have learnt today.

It may not be news to my Australian reader(s), but a "galah" is an Australian make of cockatoo, a bird of pink breast and blue-grey plumage.

So it makes my repressed British self sick when I think of all the times that I have heard Alf "Sixth Sense" Stewart (ertswhile star of Home & Away and Prisoner Cell Block H) ranting about his Good Neighbours being nothing more than fracking cockatee, the foul-mouthed Beaker Double. Remove the last two syllables of "cockatoo" and what do you get? A disgusting piece of slang for the penis, that's what.

And that's not all. It turns out that galah's can be taught to speak, and as such can be trained to swear. It doesn't take too much extrapolation to work out who taught them that trick. The flamin' mongrel.


7 Comment(s):


Comment by Anonymous Anonymous, at September 07, 2005 1:19 pm  :

He was really cool in P:CBH!



Comment by Blogger 3rd daughter, at September 07, 2005 9:47 pm  :

galahs, cockatoos, cockatiels - all great birds and they can all be taught to talk. you & mrs powersurge must visit oz to see them in their natural habitat. bob francisco has described what these birds do quite perfectly.



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at September 08, 2005 5:58 pm  :

I'd love to visit, Susan... if you could just sort us out some air tickets...

I never knew that Dahl was a galah. (I'd always assumed that (s)he was some sort of pigeon. I know nothing!)

Didn't the Kennedy's adopt Bouncer? I was thinking about Bouncer the other day. I always had a real love/hate thing with that dog, Christ knows why. I'll never forgive him for the role that he played in Jim's death. And I have a vague not-well-remembered-cos-it-wasn't-important memory of Bouncer "lieing down" to die one episode. Very badly acted.

Or have I been dreaming Australian soaps again?

As for co-Prisoner star Harold Bishop, I hope you've all seen him in lo-fi horror flick Bodymelt - what a galah! (How am I doing with all this colloquiality?)



Comment by Blogger 3rd daughter, at September 08, 2005 9:43 pm  :

i have to admit that i was never a big fan of neighbours so i cannot answer your questions. but... during the last big brother series, the doings in ramsay street were on before bb so i would often catch the end of it when changing channels to watch bb. my dirty little secret - bb is long gone and i am still watching neighbours...

your use of colloquiality is fine, mate :)



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at September 09, 2005 10:32 am  :

Fair dinkum!



Comment by Anonymous Anonymous, at September 09, 2005 1:34 pm  :

Harold Bishop? He was really cool in P:CBH!



Comment by Blogger Unknown, at February 09, 2018 2:19 am  :

I am looking for my memories through the stories, the narrative of people. I feel it is difficult but I will try.
povaup.com


Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

GGYGGZ
"Should've gone to Specsavers"
What do they know?
Proxy Music
"Erotic" Ent-tertainment
Definitive reviews
Freshly minted blogs
Reviews wanted
I am programmed to obey my Master's commands
Animal riots

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.