Viper Squad Ten

[ Monday, July 17, 2006 ]

TV Quick
Starbuck [19:15] Comments: 6 []
 
Just 'cos I've been on holiday doesn't mean I've not kept up with my obsession with quality TV (big thanks cable -on-demand). And so, I would just like to take the time to "big-up" the following:
  • Dr Who (BBC1 / BBC3) - the All New Doctor Who squeezed a few more tears from my eye with the final Series 2 episode Doomsday. Shameless manipulation of the audience's emotions, a few gaping plot holes, coupled with enough "stuff" going on that they could have drawn it out from 45 to 90 minutes and still left it feeling breathlessly densely-packed, it was nonetheless flipping marvellous. And that last scene on "DÃ¥rlig Ulv Stranden" (Bad Wolf Bay)... with that music... sob! Nice work, Russell T Davies - not bad for a former Chucklevision-scribe.

  • Saxondale (BBC2) - maybe its because I've got a shameful history of bad rock music, but I'm loving Steve Coogan as ex-roadie Pest Controller Tommy Saxondale. I'm still to catch up on the last few episodes, but co-editor Stu informs me that there's a choice Dumpy's Rusty Nuts reference in store for me...

  • Rob Brydon's Annually Retentive (BBC3) - close Brydon-friend Steve Coogan may be able to walk the walk, but only Rob Brydon can talk the talk. Or something. Behind the scenes and in front of the cameras for Rob Brydon's disasterously bad TV panel game show.

    Over the years Brydon has been crafting for himself the character of the "real Rob Brydon", in interviews and in films (Cock & Bull Story), and this builds on the foundations in a wonderfully cringeful manner. Across between The Larry Sanders Show, The Show / The Bob Mills Show (the British equivalent of Shandling's masterpiece, and perhaps that show's superior, given a dangerous edge by the very nature of the reality of its fly-on-the-wall backroom scenes - repeats, please!), 29 Minutes of Fame with Bob Mortimer (a very bad panel show made real!), and, oh, let's be lazy and just say "Have I Got News For You", it's probably the best thing on British telly at the moment. Unless you can't stand Rob Brydon, or unless you're stupid.

  • Charlie Brooker's Screen Wipe - new series starting this week on BBC4. Don't miss it - it'll be flipping graaaaate!


6 Comment(s):


Comment by Blogger Aiden Truss, at July 18, 2006 9:42 am  :

Saxondale is sheer class - the D.R.N. mention was in last weeks episode. Hadn't thought about them in years - memories of the old Marquee came flooding back!

Was disappointed with new Rob Brydon show but will give it time. Have to pick up Cock and Bull Story - tried reading Tristram Shandy and found it hard going. Wonder if the film will shed any light on it.

And I've already set a reminder for the new Screen Wipe - even the trailer thingy had me giggling!
:)



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at July 18, 2006 5:56 pm  :

DRN memories flooding back to me, too, from the time I saw them in a club in Birmingham. I made the trip up there especially - what a hero!

I've now got visions of Dumpy walking out to chants of "you fat bastard", with circles of fluorescent paint daubed all over his not inconsiderable body, with a set of motorbike "handlebars" in his hands that he then proceeded to "play". Class! Check out their official website - http://www.dumpysrustynuts.net/

Cock & Bull - enjoyable film, but I don't think it'll help you with Tristram Shandy too much!!! Did you see Martin Rowson's cartoon version in the Guardian some months back? Perhaps a bit more elucidating. Ooh look, you can buy it HERE as well.

Saxondale - it's gotta be said, Coogan is a fantastic actor - its a joy watching that face in action!



Comment by Blogger Aiden Truss, at July 19, 2006 10:37 am  :

Didn't know that Mr Rowson had done his own interpretation - will have to track it down. Amazon seem to be out of stock.

I tried reading the book a while back but the digressive nature of it just threw me. The narrative has more twists and turns than a twisty turny thing.

Mind you, I was still studying at the time and had a lot on my mind. Might take it on holiday in a few weeks and try again.

I'd forgotten the 'You Fat Bastard' thing - great days! DRN and Acid Reign were regular Marquee favourites, lost count of the amount of times I've seen 'em.
:)



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at July 20, 2006 12:03 pm  :

Acid Reign - yay!

But what about Lawnmower Deth?!



Comment by Blogger Aiden Truss, at July 20, 2006 2:17 pm  :

ENTER THE CHURCH OF THE APOCALYPTIC LAWNMOWER!
:)



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at July 20, 2006 4:46 pm  :

Quite.

Oh crikey, I'm having Chainsaw Cain (Slave Raider) flashbacks now.

Oh, stop it. Tigertailz' "Love Bomb Baby"'s just hit the Internal Jukebox. Argh!


Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

Postcard from Spain
Theirspace
Mini-Musi-Revu-Si's
Normal service will temporarily be replaced by the...
Read this: Astolath on Orwell
Animal Rescue Aftermath
Download older Zonealarm versions compatible with ...
Last night I dreamt I was looking up Billy Idol's ...
This Week I have Mostly Been
Put Me Together Again (and the alternative program...

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.