Viper Squad Ten

[ Friday, September 05, 2003 ]


Starbuck [15:51] Comments: 0 []
 
Ahhh! What a Blessed relief! (A phrase which puts in mind all sorts of unwholesome images of a certain portly Flash Gordon actor!)

I've been struggling with the Windows Update website on my dad's PC for the last few days, and its got me climbing up the walls. That old situation where they've updated the Windows Update software itself, thereby making it unaccessible to unfortunate techno-illiterates such as I.

First of all, its warning me about some unsigned or potentially unsafe ActiveX controls ("Your current settings prevent running activeX controls on this page. As a result the page may not display correctly". I try changing my trusted sites to the various M$ update sites, then change my mind (trust them?, and amend my ActiveX Security settings to "prompt" and warily carry on. It now warns me that the publisher for the certificate of http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/cab/x86/ansi/iuctl.cab (at a retrospective guess) cannot be determinded, as the Authenticode signature was not found, or something like that. Paranoid old me first of all assumes that someone's hacked the Windows Update site. After much googling, I'm reassured that this probably isn't the case. I try hitting "yes" to accept it, but it just loops back round again.

I shift my attention to the Usenet Newsgroups (where the geeky and the desperate hang out), particularly microsoft.public.windowsupdate. Much more satisfactory. There is hope. I try deleting my Temporary Internet Files. No luck. I try downloading the Win98 ActiveX controls manually from http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/cab/x86/ansi/iuctl.cab; and have all sorts of trouble trying to extract the files from it using Winzip. Apparently the cabinet file iuctl.cab is corrupted. What I don't realise is that I must in fact Shift-Rightclick-Open With Explorer in order to extract it (in a different styley), rather than trying to unzip it. Still can't find the iuctl.inf file to right-click-install, though. So no luck with that strategy. Gah! Is this getting interesting yet?

I try deleting my Temporary Internet Files again. Just in case I'd dreamt my previous attempt.

Getting desperate - I should be sorting my life out rather than being stuck on this nightmare - I saw someone somewhere suggest that some other sufferer should simply try the following link:
https://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

And it worked! Apparently. No sign of the recently published Office patches that I was expecting to find, you see...


0 Comment(s):

Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

I'd missed this nicely disparaging story a few day...
At a time when I should be finishing off my CV tin...
Jeez, this site is reaching its blogging nadir - I...
Okay it was real - look
Alright i've relented and am posting. Mainly due ...
Oh yeah, didn't mention before, I finally saw Pira...
One of the things I've always liked about the orig...
Ahh, bless! I've just received the following email...
Alistair Campbell has quit. But without the Dark L...
Heh, this little animation has just creased me up ...

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.