Viper Squad Ten

[ Tuesday, February 15, 2005 ]

Blogger comments
Starbuck [18:41] Comments: 6 []
 
Kerryst, Bloggers slow tonight. Probably something to do with every sodding user updating their Comments system. I can't wait to give it a try - Haloscan's habit of dropping the archived Comments afer 4 months from non-Premium members has driven me to distraction, although their new Gravatar function might be interesting (or an opportunity for sick bastids to spam me with dodgy images).

But no time for that right now, there's things on my mind. They may be inane, they may be boring, but if you're reading this in chronological order then you've already read them, so there's nothing I can do to warn you. Hah!


6 Comment(s):


Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at February 15, 2005 8:55 pm  :

OK. I lied.

I didn't want to look into it - I just thought I'd check out the Commenting option screen.

It then proceeded to mess up, thanks to my "unusual" template. Fortunately it told me what to paste into the template.

Unfortunately I ended up spending the next hour or so paste bits and pieces of template around, looking for evident corrections, only to NOT BE ABLE TO SEE ANY OF THE CHANGES DUE TO FLIPPING CHOOSING "REPUBLISH INDEX" (for speed) RATHER THAN "REPUBLISH ENTIRE BLOG"!

Although I could preview the changes to the main page, the individual post subpages weren't been republished, hence every last fricking change not seeming to make any difference.

Fingers crossed I'm OK now. Jesus! And I've gone and lost my stream of blog-consciousness now...



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at February 15, 2005 8:56 pm  :

Hmm. No smileys in evidence, not that I feel like smiling.

I'll work on a better template for this when I get a few spare moments. i.e. next year at this rate...



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at February 15, 2005 9:14 pm  :

Hmm again. Still a bit messy, even with all these new separators that I've just insered. But better. For now.

So as to keep the existing Haloscan Comments for the next 4 months or so, they're still there on new posts but "hidden" - the text reads " " rather than "0 comments) for uncommented posts...

Crafty!



Comment by Blogger birdychirp, at February 15, 2005 10:08 pm  :

Blimey! How did you get this to happen?

I had NO idea about haloscan losing comments after 4 months. That's shite. Maybe my free blogging days are over...



Comment by Anonymous Anonymous, at February 15, 2005 11:36 pm  :

Yup, shite indeed. I'd suspected as much, having seen them stripped from my older archives, but hadn't read about it before tonight when I checked their forums (fora?).

If you pay $12 to become a Premium member then all your missing comments reappear, apparently.

Or get the all-new-again free Blogger comments which, they assure us, will not be ever stripped away...

I must say I'm quite impressed with this non-inline "Haloscan-a-like" version, anyhow. Just gotta tweak the template a bit to smarten things up, now...

Great that you can now log in using "Other" to get a straight link to your URL, Haloscan/enetation/etc-wise, as well.



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at April 30, 2005 4:21 pm  :

Test of the link tag.

Let's try the main page.


Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

Clutterbuck Computer Clutter Challenge Rounds 8 and 9
Fix to prevent phishing in any browser
Malcolm Hardee RIP
All about me, by my cousin
Clutterbuck Computer Clutter Challenge Rounds 6 and 7
Wedding update
They called me dearest!
Clutterbuck Computer Clutter Challenge Round 4
Advice to the newly engaged
Spend-free Sunday

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.