Viper Squad Ten

[ Thursday, February 17, 2005 ]

Half-way review - Lemon jelly
Starbuck [20:15] Comments: 2 []
 
OK, this is a first-listen-in-progress review, with Uncle Starbuck having been banished to the kitchen to do the washing-up with his Walkman on whilst soon-to-be-Mrs Powersurge discusses her wedding hairstyle on the phone upstairs, and Lemon Jelly's ’"'64 - '–’95" on the platter.

Not much washing-up done - I've been bouncing around in a way that an album hasn't made me bounce in a long long time. Half way through on that difficult first listen, and its stunning. More ky than Distant Horizons if that means anything to you, and very varied with it.

Its lost anything that critics might have once attacked as "twee", and in its place is a mosaic of carefully selected, craftfully incorporated samples. First song had me hooked - I was nearing ceiling-space like Zebedee anyway, and then a sample of classy rockers Masters Of Reality's "The Blue Garden" came in. Bliss - a fairly obscure band's debut album from 15 years ago, an album that meant a whole lot at the time to me, a fantastic album that I'd forgotten, and it re-enters my life during a peak of adrenaline

Another great nostalgic moment later on as Atlantic Ocean's "Waterfall" filters in, cut right back in bpm's.

But enough of my ky gash (as it were), I'm getting strong hints that I'd better get back to the washing up...


2 Comment(s):


Comment by Blogger Aiden Truss, at February 20, 2005 12:04 am  :

I used to love that first Masters of Reality album - have it on vinyl somewhere up in my loft.

'Don't she look good
Don't she look fine
Wants to be picked
Like fruit off a vine'

It's all coming back to me now...
:)



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at February 21, 2005 10:51 am  :

I had it on a much-worn tape. Truly a great album. It reminds me of driving through the south of France with my parents...


Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

The Clutterbuck Blog
Wedding update
A very long neck
The doobie brothers
Blogger comments
Clutterbuck Computer Clutter Challenge Rounds 8 and 9
Fix to prevent phishing in any browser
Malcolm Hardee RIP
All about me, by my cousin
Clutterbuck Computer Clutter Challenge Rounds 6 and 7

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.