Viper Squad Ten

[ Monday, July 24, 2006 ]

50 Films To See Before You Diet
Starbuck [19:12] Comments: 9 []
 
Now World+Wife is going to be blogging about this, but what the hell, my wife doesn't blog.

To celebrate the relaunch of Film4 as a free-to-air channel, Movie Experts (including Lord David Puttnam, Uwe Boll and Paul W.S. Anderson, though not sure about those last two...) have named the 50 films that they think everybody should see before they die. I hope that the accompanying show wasn't broadcast in the world's troublespots or famine-struck areas...

And so that you can "enjoy the list", and nothing at all to do with showing just how clued-up I am (or not), I'm going to self-importantly annotate it according to those films I've seen (labelled S), possess (labelled P, whether bought or those on dodgy VCR recordings off of the telly), or those that I possess but haven't got round to watching yet (PSX). And if you don't like it you can Psx off.

From the top, ladies and gentleman:
1. Apocalypse Now (PSX)
2. The Apartment
3. City of God (S)
4. Chinatown
5. Sexy Beast (P)
6. 2001: A Space Odyssey (S)
7. North by Northwest
8. A Bout de Souffle
9. Donnie Darko (P)
10. Manhattan (S)
11. Alien (P)
12. Lost in Translation (S)
13. The Shawshank Redemption (S)
14. Lagaan: Once Upon A Time in India
15. Pulp Fiction (P)
16. Touch of Evil
17. Walkabout
18. Black Narcissus
19. Boyz n the Hood (S)
20. The Player (S)
21. Come and See
22. Heavenly Creatures (P)
23. A Night at the Opera
24. Erin Brockovich
25. Trainspotting (P)
26. The Breakfast Club (S)
27. Hero (S)
28. Fanny and Alexander
29. Pink Flamingos
30. All About Eve
31. Scarface
32. Terminator 2 (P)
33. Three Colours: Blue (S)
34. The Royal Tenenbaums (S)
35. The Ladykillers
36. Fight Club (P)
37. The Searchers
38. Mulholland Drive (PSX)
39. The Ipcress File
40. The King of Comedy (PSX)
41. Manhunter (S)
42. Dawn of the Dead (P)
43. Princess Mononoke
44. Raising Arizona (PSX)
45. Cabaret (S)
46. This Sporting Life
47. Brazil (S)
48. Aguirre: The Wrath of God
49. Secrets and Lies (PSX)
50. Badlands
Phew, I'm so knackered after that I can't really be bothered to put any editorial or opinion in. I'm worse than Paul Ross!


9 Comment(s):


Comment by Blogger Aiden Truss, at July 25, 2006 10:52 am  :

Some classics in there, and some big omissions...

I think that a few have made it onto that list just because they always make it onto these lists - you have to be seen to have seen them. Films like Erin Brockovich seemed OK at the time, but haven't aged so well - certainly not a classic in my opinion (despite Albert Finney's usual faultless performance).

Plus, unless my mince pies are letting me down, there's no Casablanca, Citizen Kane or Blade Runner in there - what kind of a list leaves them out?
:b



Comment by Anonymous Anonymous, at July 25, 2006 2:22 pm  :

Y-y-you have not seen Scarface? Whataya? Uh?



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at July 25, 2006 6:55 pm  :

Scarface is one of those films which I think I might have seen whilst very very drunk, and as a result it doesn't count. Ulp.

But yeah, I guess I don't know that much about film. Even my mobile phone company thinks so. I got a text message from them today saying "This week you might like GARFIELD 2". Jeez, what kind of idiot do they think I am?!!

Also, must agree with Astolath - some big ommissions, but good to see a few things like Hero in there.

And just one thing on there which I've been dieing (but not getting round to) seeing, and that's Princess Mononoke . Yay!



Comment by Blogger 3rd daughter, at July 26, 2006 12:26 pm  :

i've lost count of the how many times i've seen scarface. you must, must, must watch it! there are so many on this list that i have yet to see. i might just have to start haunting the video store (a bit of a dumb name but i still call it that, even though i only ever rent dvds...)



Comment by Anonymous Anonymous, at July 26, 2006 1:54 pm  :

Without Scarface, the wide-awake suits and the pumping Georgio Moroder soundtrack, they'd be no Miami Vice.

And no Miami Vice equals no Manhunter.

And no Manhunter equals no Heat.

So think about that next time. ¿Comprendo?



Comment by Anonymous Anonymous, at July 26, 2006 1:55 pm  :

Oh.

And I wouldn't mind seeing The Apartment again.



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at July 26, 2006 5:45 pm  :

OK OK, I will get round to watching Scarface. I SHALL REMEMBER! But Georgio Moroder - does he sound at all like Jan Hammer?

And I'll look out for The Apartment too, though I know bugger all about it.

Cheers!



Comment by Blogger Stuart, at July 27, 2006 11:36 am  :

I'm being picky, but P must mean "possess and seen" rather than simply "possess", right? Otherwise you would not need the PSX definition right? So S therefore means seen but do not possess? I really think this could have been a bit clearer.



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at July 27, 2006 1:28 pm  :

Grrr....


Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

Nintesco Customer Services Lite
Tomb of the Cybermen
Musuem of Bad Album Covers
Joe Pasquale, QuizShowHost Parasite
Human Life and Respect
TV Quick
Postcard from Spain
Theirspace
Mini-Musi-Revu-Si's
Normal service will temporarily be replaced by the...

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.