Viper Squad Ten

[ Thursday, July 27, 2006 ]

How Far Can Scramble Invade My System
Starbuck [17:30] Comments: 4 []
 
Scramble screenshot 1Scramble screenshot 2Proof that I've played too many old computer and arcade games in my life: I don't seem to be able to walk along a corridor without tracing my knuckles along the wall next to me, soaring up or swooping down to avoid fixtures and fittings etc. That's when I'm not approaching the corridor using my Doom tactics, of course.Scramble screenshot 3

Too much of Konami's Scramble (and its clones, including the pink Rocket Raid on the BBC Micro and Beam Software's Penetrator on the Speccie et al) methinks.

Penetrator screenshotAh, Penetrator, that was a great early Spectrum game, despite its ultradodgy name; played it to death - rock hard later on in the tunnels. Thankfully it had a good DIY level designer so that you could save some of your own slightly more forgiving levels... loved the silky smooth fashion in which the satellite dishes rotated... I was less demanding then...

Wish I had more time on my hands so I could solder the contacts beneath the all-important LOAD button on my ZX Spectrum... emulation's too easy - I liked the satisfaction of finally finding the correct volume for a dodgy hyperload C60 tape recording after having spent all afternoon trying to get the damn game to load...

But in the meantime, look what I've just found... PLAY SCRAMBLE IN YOUR WEB BROWSER HERE... www.1980-games.com/us/old-games/java-games/scramble.php
... ah, that takes me back 25 years... childhood excitement at brand NEW technology... and distant thoughts about the potential for the future that it heralded...


4 Comment(s):


Comment by Anonymous Anonymous, at July 31, 2006 1:53 pm  :

You're gonna love this! I thought it was Scrabble. He He He!



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at July 31, 2006 8:26 pm  :

Scrabble - fantastic retro gameplay!

Though I did have Scrabble on the Spectrum. It actually did play a pretty good game of Scrabble, though if you put it on an expert setting it used to take bleedin' hours to come up with a word...



Comment by Anonymous Anonymous, at August 01, 2006 1:41 pm  :

So it wasn't a Scrabble Deluxe on the Spectrum then.



Comment by Blogger Starbuck, at August 01, 2006 4:09 pm  :

It'd have to be pretty flippin' deluxe to look like that...


Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

Blogratulations
50 Films To See Before You Diet
Nintesco Customer Services Lite
Tomb of the Cybermen
Musuem of Bad Album Covers
Joe Pasquale, QuizShowHost Parasite
Human Life and Respect
TV Quick
Postcard from Spain
Theirspace

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.