Viper Squad Ten

[ Thursday, August 28, 2003 ]


Starbuck [16:23] Comments: 0 []
 
I feel that I should share, in my good-natured philanthropic way, the goodies that I purchased on Saturday. The acquirement of these treasures would not have been posssible without the magic tokens that I gratefully received from benefactors from SCi and SOAS to mark my departure from London, so thanks to all concerned.

Due to the limitations of HMV Coventry, the breadth of choice available to expand my audio-visual horizons was pretty much narrowed, but this forced the purchasement of some unexpected delights. But enough of this ridiculous writing style, on with the facts.

The Donnie Darko vid I raved about here. Also new to my video box is Michael Moore's Bowling For Columbine. I can't believe I hadn't got round to seeing it before; I've still not.

CD-wise, I've been very much looking forward to Quixotic by Martina Topley-Bird, and I wasn't disappointed. A lovely, warm album, sensual and atmospheric. Less bleak than much of her work with Tricky, but not left lacking as a result.

I once knew someone who went to school with Martina T-B in Bristol, and continuing this tenuous Bristol trip-hop link, I also got Portishead's Dummy. An album which I already knew like the back of my hand, but one that I'd never actually owned. Hearing it brings back so many muddled-headed Bristol memories...

More reawakenings of old memories was brought about by The Future Sound Of London's Lifeforms. An ambient dream of some fictional wordless natural history documentary, the camera floating through the lower atmosphere of a fertile alien world, the plush flora and primitive fauna drifting in and out of each scene. Or maybe I shouldn't have eaten those mushrooms that I saw in the woods earlier.

And last, but far from least, UNKLE's Psyence Fiction, which is astoundingly good. Especially when the Jacob's Ladder sample kicks in (click here, music geeks, for a full sample list). An album where the quality of the music by DJ Shadow and James Lavelle ensures that the celebrity guests (including Thom Yorke, Badly Drawn Boy, Richard Ashcroft and the Beastie's Mike D) are not so much highlighted as fully complemented. Whereas Death In Vegas guests sometimes more or less make an individual track, these one's feel more like an unexpected bonus. It's orchestration for the future. And I should know.


0 Comment(s):

Post your own Comment



[ Click HERE for the VSX front-page... ]







[ Previous Posts ]

I had a nice thought earlier. No, not one of those...
Gah! How did I forget to watch Live Forever (docum...
British readers. Fracked off with the Royal Mail w...
Following my excitement yesterday that was generat...
My mind's ear is being thoroughly syringed out wit...
A wonderful moment. Regular readers (hypothetical)...
A mundane blog moment. My car's going in to the g...
I see that Tam (of the premiere Kiwi blog Tam I Am...
Sitcoms. I love them. And especially British sitco...
I love the Japanese. Not wanting to make any sweep...

[ Full Archives ]



[ Photowankery ]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Starbuck Powersurge. Make your own badge here.